Monday, January 01, 2007

Pursuit of Happyness

I normally do not do any free advertisement for anyone else's stuff unless it is just that good. But I am going to do that now.

I went this Saturday with my mother and her fiancee to go see "Pursuit if Happyness". Will Smith i starring in the movie. The movie is about how a guy and his son becomes homeless and there struggle to become financially stable.

There was one scene in particular that seriously moved me. Actually, it almost made me tear up. Will Smith and his son (his actual son played this part) were in a subway station after they had gotten kicked out of a motel. Smith had this machine that he sells sitting next to him. The boy says that the machine is not a time machine. Earlier, some homelss guy said it was. Will Smith tells him that the machine is a time machine. So Smith tells his son to close his eyes and push a button on a machine. Will Smith pretends that they go back to the time of the dinosaurs. So they run towards a "cave" aka restroom. They fall asleep on the floor. Will Smith stays awake and cries because he is so helpless in the situation.

That struck home to me. I remember being homeless an sleeping in a Greyhound bus station. I never felt so hopeless in my life. I felt that there was nothing I could do to change the situation. I felt embarrassed being in that situation. I felt sorry for my mom and younger brother. I just wanted it all to change.

But this movie is definitely worth seeing. If you have a chance, go see it/

10 comments:

So...Wise...Sista said...

I def enjoyed the movie...and enjoyed hangin out with you and CNelly. (OK, I realize I'm late)

I also recall you mentioning being homeless at dinner and I wasnt sure if you were serious...and when I was gonna ask you about it, you and your boy went into tangental "reminisce" mode and I forgot all about it. But look at where you are today, Young Epsi. Nothing but the sky is the limit for you. ;)

Discombobulated Diva said...

the movie was definitely on point... I think that Will and his son did a great job in that movie...

when I see movies like that, it makes me put some things into perspective...

Hope you're doing good... Happy New Years... ~DD

Ms.Honey said...

Happy New Year!! I saw Dreamgirls now I'm gonna have to check that one out

Anonymous said...

Yeah, good seeing you over the holidays young sir.

Hope that '07 is better for you than even '06, but we know you keep it moving.

I have to go "The Pursuit of Happyness".

LoL @ Wise and " tangental reminisce mode".

You have been able to turn adversity into ammunition and that's why I know if I ever need to sleep on somebody's couch it'll probably be yours. HaHa

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

how long you stay in the station? i was "without a home" (i hesitate to use the word *homeless* in this context) for about 3 months one fine dark period in my life. It was akin to fasting. the first few days were tough, and then everything became crystal clear...

The very.

Jameil said...

wow. i wasn't in the right frame of mind when i saw it. i just wanted to not be homeless. i was so scared of that after seeing that movie.

BK said...

I saw the movie as well.. and it was a good one.. definitely one of the best for the year. the book is very good as well! Pick it up!

Sheba Brooks Moore said...

yeah I have heard great things about the movie...I definately need to see it since it was shot in my home town (The Bay Area)...thanks...

*snake*bite* said...

Well it hasn't come out ova here (UK) yet - but will be out in Feb so definitely going to see it - that really is a situation that takes someone with courage and willpower to get through.

Happy New Year

xxS*Bxx

kathi said...

We've all been wanting to see the movie, and will soon.
That was an amazing story you shared, thank you.