Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Black People

I NEED BLACK PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

I am dead serious. I have felt this way before. Being in school in Erie, PA does this to me. I am isolated from Black culture for moths at a time. It always starts out small. I start just feeling a little weird. Then I start making jokes about being around Whites too much. Then I turn into a grump. The stage after that I begin to feel slightly paranoid. Finally, I just go into shutdown mode. I start not being able to look at people in their face. I get really really sarcastic. This is when I isolate myself for a day or two and try and "recreate" Black culture in my room. I will not watch tv unless Blacks are the main characters on it. I wont listen to music from White artists. I just go into it. I will speak in ebonics and refuse to switch out of it. Then I call all my friends from home because most of my Black friends live at home. After talking to them for a while (2 days), then I go back to being able to put up with it.

Someone needs to do a psychological study on the effects of being racially isolated for long periods of time.

I am at that really really sarcastic stage. People are going to really start hating me.

8 comments:

CNEL said...

That's deep I can only imagine what you're experience is like there in Erie. Their is a lack of diversity here, but I think yours might be to another extreme. Take time to recognize who you are, and whose you are. Keep sight of your greatness as an African-American male.

Lola Gets said...

You know what? When I was at Smith, a white school in a white state, I also became more "Black." I craved Black music, Black culture, Black people...I would take any and every opportunity to get the hell out of MA whenever I could, lol. Get your "Black fix" wherever you can, and keep it with you til the next time.

NegroPino™ said...

STudies show u will just adapt to your environment and marry u a white woman lol lol......

Um, why did u chose to go to school out in PA?

Jameil said...

i was wondering how you chose your school too. i'd never heard of it. i just assumed you went to penn state erie when you were talkin abt going to school in erie. lmao @try and "recreate" Black culture in my room. going to an hbcu was the best thing that could've ever happened to me. that's mostly b/c i went to white schools my whole life in lived in a neighborhood surrounded by white people. when you get used to the blackness, you go through w/drawal. honey mine has lasted as long as i've been here. i don't have a single black female friend here. that shit is lonely. why do you think i'm so heavy into blogger? cope how you gotta homes. black history month is coming up so you picked the perfect time to start the w/d cycle. you'll have plenty of programming to chose from... tho much of it may make you MORE angry. hmmmmmm...

Anonymous said...

i have to have a black fix at least everyday ... my tolerance for our light friends is low these days and i always wonder why ... but we are an amazing people no doubt ... but surrounding yourself with it is good i know its not the same as the real thing but hopefully it will sustain you for a bit longer! Be strong!

Lyrically speaking said...

I can totally relate, when I lived in California I went to a predominantly white high school, my sister, brother and I plus two others were the only black ones, the rest of the students were white or Mexicans. I felt lost for a good three years until my senior year the school started busing black kids from Los Angeles and it felt nice. To me it's better when it's a mixed culture.

Ms.Honey said...

LOL...good thing Mason had a nice sized Black community on top of that it's near DC so whenever we wanted to see blacks we could go to DC and talk to the local homeless man LOL

kathi said...

Just gonna say 'hi' and back out of the blog quietly. :)