Tuesday, December 26, 2006

God vs. Science

A battle is being fought in our society. We see scenes of this battle all in the media. Its battle grounds have even reached our homes. We see this battle inherent in the question of "evolution or creation". People ask us this question and many others. No matter how you put it, they all boil down to one thing: God vs Science. This ideological battle is more important than any battle we have seen so far in the 21st century; including our battles for oil.

This battle seems to have torn our country apart. Not in a physical way. There are no destroyed buildings because of this battle. People are not starving (at least that I know of). Governments have not been overthrown. Mass amounts of people have not been killed (at least in the 21st century!! Copernicus probably knows a thing or two about persecution). Yet ideologically, we have been torn asunder. You either place your hope in science or your faith in God. You must choose. There is no in betwee; no compromise. A side must be chosen.

I believe that there does not have to be a conflict between God and science. I believe these two can peacefully coexist. I see God in science. That may sound weird but it is true. When I look at the cell and how it works, I see God. The comet streaking through the sky, I see God. The intricate forces that hold an atom together, I see God in that also.

People believe that science disproves the existence of God. Many believe that science disproves the existence of God. I believe that Nature's Laws are God's Laws. God's Laws do not end at the 10 Commndments. They include the laws of gravity, thermodynamics, and elasticity. People may say God works in mysterious ways. I believe science may be God's way.

I am not preaching an "Intelligent Design" theory. I am just putting out the idea that maybe God works within scientific laws. Yet maybe we have not pushed science far enough to explain/not explain God's existence. Who knows.

I just know that for me I see God whenever I hear about quantum physics. I hear God's music in the movement of the Earth. In essence, science and God are two different ways of telling the same story. I saw a quote that was funny yet poignant:

"Science and religion are not at odds.
Science is simply too young to understand."

5 comments:

Jameil said...

we are so HERE. i don't think i can ever stop being amazed by weather. its amazing to me. try as we might, there really isn't anything we can do to stop or even more than adequately explain it. if that's not evidence of God, i don't know what is. fab post.

toneec42 said...

I totally agree. I believe science will ultimately prove the existence of God. Not that it needs to but as "we" continue to mature we will realize more and more that only God can put the laws of nature and science in motion and continue them regardless of what man does to try and affect them.

kathi said...

Exactly, young man...exactly.

CNEL said...

You told me you'd made a post, not that you'd written a thesis.

I do think you have to have both.

That quote is so on it.

Ms.Honey said...

Happy New Year...I didn't feel like commenting LOL..my brain doesn't wanna think right now