Friday, April 28, 2006

Be Grateful

I have noticed that the people around me are not grateful. And this is one reason why I will be glad to see my family when I go home for my aunt's funeral.

I see the people I spend a lot of time with constantly complaining. "I don't have a lot of money" or " I wish I looked like this" or "School is sooooo difficult". I hate to hear these things. It seems as if no one looks at all that they have and considers themselves blessed. The have all of their needs taken care of. They are not wanting for food, water, clothes, shelter. They are going to a decent school and getting a good education. Their health is great. They have friends and family that truly loves them. Family life is going well. Why complain???

This came up last nite when someone was complaining about school . This person tends to do really well. They always study hard and get good grades. This person was complaining about why school is so hard. This would have been normal except that I have heard this same song over and over again. In my head I wanted to say, " I am going through the exact same thing as you are!! Shut up!" I did not say it because I was too sleepy to. How can you comlain when your GPA is great??

Here is my advice: look at your life and try to see the positive. Be greatful for all that you have in your life. It is definitely worth it.

6 comments:

CNEL said...

Give thanks with a grateful heart,
Give thanks unto the Holy One,
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son.


Give thanks with a grateful heart,
Give thanks unto the Holy One,
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son.


And now let the weak say, "I am strong,"
Let the poor say, "I am rich,
Because of what the Lord has done for us."


This song was in my head earlier today, and instantly popped up when I read this.

You're right, though I often tell people to be thankful, I sometimes need a taste of my own medicine. Sometimes not even I can see all that has been given to me, all that I have earned and achieved.

The_Practitioner said...

I'm gonna co-sign the sentiment. Be grateful niggas.

Every time I even start to turn my nose up at my own issues and situations, I just look out the window and low and behold...somebody is actually worst off than me. I got a lot to be thankful about. ;o)

Got dammit, it's good to be me.

So...Wise...Sista said...

I'm mad CNelly went to my church! lol

Great post, Eps. GREAT sentiment...one we need to be reminded of more often!

PS - Happy Anniv! Y'all so cute!!

Jameil said...

how bout one of my friends complains about EVERYTHING. sometimes i avoid her calls b/c she's never happy. "i live in a horrible city. i'm fat. i'm single. there are no good men. i'm tired of studying for the cpa exam." and on and on and on. SHUT UP!! you came out of college making 40k/yr. nobody wants to hear that. half of that is stuff that is inside your control.

Ms.Honey said...

It seems that the death of a loved one or close friend always puts life into perspective....I am keeping you in my prayers

It's funny how I'm so thankful for the little things even more than I was before....

AJ said...

It's so true - we're all guilty of it in some way or another, taking for granted all of the things that make our lives so amazing, and complaining about these crazy details.

It's awesome to just step back from all the little dramas, and think about how lucky we truly all are. Thanks for reminding me to do this!