Saturday, April 15, 2006

Dumbing It Down

Listening To:
Chamillionaire - Ridin' Dirty

I know it is sad that I am writing an entry 1 am Sunday when I should be out partying it up.

All my life I have always had to dumb it down for people. 1st grade I was not allowed to write in cursive. The rest of elementary school I had to use smaller words so the other kids can understand. Middle school was the only time I could bask in my intelligence. High school my intelligence flew under the radar until the awards ceremony when my gpa was announced. My mother always nutured it. I had a subscription to National Geographic at 8 years old. She always gave me books to read. I still nurture it. I know a shitload of random facts. I do well in school. I have read the Bible in its entirety twice. I am currently reading a translation of the Koran. I do research for fun. All in all, I am a nerd. Yet outside of my family and close circle of friends, my intelligence has always provoked some sort of fear or jealousy (as if I am trying to use it to rule the world).

It has done this again.

Me and the gf have gotten into an argument about it. She feels that I am always flexing my "brainpower". It started when we were watching 10 Commandments. She told me she did not know the entire story of Moses. I said I was surprised. She spazzed. She talks about how I always make her feel like she is stupid. She gave a couple of examples. One was when I told her parents what happened to me in elementary school. She feels I show off my intelligence too much. To me it seems as if she gets upset whenever I celebrate how well I do. Even when I do not put others down it still seems to piss her off.

I really do not know what to do. Should I dumb it down for her?? Should I ignore it?? I think this arguement came up because she had a bad day. I don't think we would have had this arguement if she was in a decent mood. But now I feel as if I cannot say anything about what I know. What should I do???

1 comment:

CNEL said...

LoL had this conversation with JReeder a few weeks back while out to dinner with her and Alayne.
I think I told you about it. We were talking about you, me, David, and Grace.
Here's her take:
You aka GWill: Naturally intelligent, but at times lazy. HaHa LoL she knows the potential and expects even more from you.
Me: Hardworker (LoL JReeder claims she wasn't saying I was dumb, she was just saying I have to work harder, BS, but so whatev LoL)
David: Naturally intelligent, with an underrated intellect.
Grace: Naturally intelligent, hard worker, ambitious, driven, and focused. :-)

You are brilliant, this coming from someone who has known you for nearly ten years. I'm not just saying that, you know I've told you this in person. You know a whole lot, and the great thing is that it will undoubtedly continue to benefit others in the future. I'm so waiting for that full professorship somewhere huge.

I think M is right in the sense that sometimes someone else's intelligence can be somewhat intimidating. When you're in an intimate relationship with another, you want to be on their level. If you feel that you are not, if you feel inadequate in any way you are limited, you don't feel you can be your true self. It's a tad distressing.

Do not insult your girlfriend, by dumbing anything down for her. She is an intelligent young woman, treat her as such, continue to hold her in the highest regard. Boy, you know how to treat a woman. Ms. Stephanie has taught you well.

My advice to you would be the same advice that I offer to anyone involved in a relationship, worth preserving. Treat your partner with the utmost respect. Aim to help her to reach her highest level, her pinnacle, and allow her to help you do the same.

Keep making it do what it do!