Sunday, February 26, 2006

Epsilonicus' Anthropological Theory On The Function Of Black History Month

I know it is kind of late to be writing my theory but I figure I should try to find a way to explain it because I know this may cause some drama among some of my readers. First if all, I will define two important terms:
emic: how a culture defines its own cultural phenomena in their own terms
etic: an outside/more scientific view of a group cultural phenomena

I believe that Black History Month is not for Black people. It is for white people. I know it sounds insane but listen. Emically, Blach history month is for everyone to learn and appreciate the accomplishments of African-Americans. But really look at Black history month. Majority of Black people have a decent understanding about their history and also a lot about Caucasians' history and culture. We have to know both in order to survive. Whites do not have to know Black history and about Black culture in order to be successful. For example, I met a young White woman at my school who did not know who Rosa Parks was. She was a senior. Whites do not have to do it. Since they are the dominant group, they determine what is important for them to learn in order to surive. And sadly enough, Black history and culture is not one of those things. What Black history month does is force Whites to have to recognize the fact that we (Black people) have made an extraordinary contrbution to America. Without Black history month, most whites would never take the time to learn about Black history because it is not neccesary for them to be successful.

Now I am not saying that others should not particicpate. Whether you are Black, White, Asian, or Hispanic you should take time to learn. All I am saying from an anthropological point of view is that , because I am an anthropologist, is that etically, this is how I believe Black history month functions. Thank you and please leave comments and opinions.

9 comments:

Jameil said...

i think it is extremely important both etically and emically. obviously, it hasn't really worked. (look at the girl you met at your school). they still don't know because although its been around since the 1920s, and a month for longer, you would think it would be observed. but its not. and i guarantee you you would be disgusted if you were to take a walk through many schools and see how few black children also know who rosa parks, martin luther king and malcolm x. it used to be those were the ones everyone knew. now people don't even know who they are. so while, the emic value of black history month is obvious, the etic value, likewise cannot be ignored. (thanks for teaching me two new words!)

Anonymous said...

Your welcome jameil. I am always looking for a way to expand the general public's vocab.

It is sad that Black children do not know their own history. I believe if we forget our histroy, those evil values of the past will creep back up on us.

Anonymous said...

Forget emic and etic, I'm about to get ethnic.

GWill aka Espi (as Jameil likes to call you), I am more often than not in agreement with you, but today my good friend, our opinions differ.

African American Heritage Month aka Black History Month is for Black people, you were right when you said emically, it's for "everyone." It's also for white people though our priorities in celebrating the month should be a tad different. As African-Americans we should seek to become more informed about the sacrifices, the ultimate achievements, and the legacies of our forerunners. We should then seek to uphold the highest standards as demonstrated by other members of our culture. Caucasians should seek to understand our culture, in an effort to better understand the historic inequities which we have had to overcome.

Maybe then once we have a better understanding of the role of African-Americans in society, we can work to build a coalition which includes white allies, and allows us to remedy some of the inadequacies and inequities which we see.

But then again you are the aspiring athropologist, and I just like to play journalist and sociologist!

All the Best,
CNEL

Anonymous said...

Cnel, I think that you misunderstood me. I do not believe that Black History month is not for African-Americans, I believe that it forces Whites to recognize our contirbution. Even if we do disagree, I still hold your opinion in the highest regard.

Mrs A. said...

i feel you, i think i have been sitting on similar thoughts for a while, but i didn't want to post about it yet. maybe about BHM....

Waddie G. said...

you make a lot of sense because I hear us saying "why does Black History have to be a month when we can celebrate everyday"...on the surface Black History is a month to celebrate, but deeply, we celebrate it every day we live.

GREAT POST!

G. Cornelius said...

"Majority of Black people have a decent understanding about their history and also a lot about Caucasians' history and culture."

You really believe that? I'll keep you posted

Ms.Honey said...

I'm guessing they are trying to make themselves feel better about being "down"

Adei von K said...

Your p-o-v is/was/is refreshing. I agree 126% with you on who BHM is "for". Yes OUR children are falling by the wayside in regards to OUR contributions but since the school system as a whole isn't going to do anything about it, that's where we as students, parents, grads, volunteers step in. As for the actual month of February, yes its a short month but the White people need to get in as much as we can legally force down their throats.