Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Mohawked Kid Saved Me

The title may seemed crazy but it is true.

I was asked earlier this week to do some spoken word poetry at this concert here at school. They needed someone to perform between acts at this "Battle of the Bands"-type thing. I almost said no because I do not thin these people will like it. Oh well. I ended up saying yes because I love doing poetry.

Thursday night, me and this kid Curtis were chilling. I was at this meeting to tell me what I needed to do for the concert. For a while we were not needed so we were sitting in the back room playin gon this little Casio and other music making toy. He was making random beats on it. Then he suggested that I do a freestyle poem over the beats.

I was a little surprised because Curtis is the punk-type of cat. He has this bright red mohawk that sits about 5 inches off his head. I know him because he is a freshman in my major that works in the same lab as me. Nice kid but really does not seem to be the spken word type. He keeps making me try. So for 2 hours we sat there just having me freestyling poetry, putting random lines together and seeing what works. He has gotten me out of my creative rut. I have been creatively dead with my writing for about 4 months; I have not written a poem in that long. So it felt good to be able to write. It really did. I thought I would not write another poem ever. Ever.

So a kid with a mowhawk has saved me. He really did.

3 comments:

Waddie G. said...

it is interesting that by looks we can't always assume things.

Jameil said...

wow... and a red mohawk no less. that's kinda hot. hey... whatever it takes.

Sherlon Christie said...

never lose your passion to right...you might miss out on a chance to inspire someone