Monday, December 03, 2007

Uncomfortably Christian

Lord they really think they fooling you by coming to church on Sunday
praying and laying hands on folks stomping and jumping around faking the holy ghost
but its a thin line between walking it and talking it
living it and giving it or just pretending it’s alright
and did they really think that they could pull the wool over your eyes lord
did they really think that by faking they were saved that they would get the same reward
this be the realest thing I ever wrote for sure
after this a lot of folks wont like me no mo’
but after this I gotta go answer to you Lord

Lyfe Jennings "Made Up My Mind"


An epiphany has struck me.

I am uncomfortably Christian. I really am. I say this for a specific reason. I do not have a problem with most of the tenets of Christianity (I feel that every religion tends to have some logical fallacy. You cannot get up in the details). I really do not. The fact that there is no God but God and that Christ is his son does not disturb me. Treat others with dignity and respect. Most other doctrine does not bother me (except some Catholic things but that not my flavor. Again the small details).

Thus it is not the doctrine, but church that bothers me. I cannot stand going to church. I get a sick feeling in my stomach. The reason is all the hypocrisy, past and present. The church has had a reputation for not serving people the way God intended. It has failed us. Thus when I walk in, I see. I see it whenever a church asks for an offering. I see it whenever a pastor/preacher/father/reverend does not understand or know the internal matters of the church. I see it whenever people look despicably at new people in their church. Or the leader of the church is "encouraging" the Holy Spirit. Whenever someone "feels" the spirit and has a conniption on the floor, I want to throw up. I have seen so much fake shit that I lose all the desire to go to church. It is an uncomfortable environment for me.

So every Sunday, I realize one thing. I am uncomfortably Christian.

6 comments:

La said...

it makes alot of sense. Whereas church used to be a place of worship and solace, it's now big business, a huge theatrical production. I can't stand going to church.


Imagine being a preacher's kid and saying THAT to your mother, lol

Jameil said...

you just need to find the right place... which TRUST ME I KNOW is more than a notion. i think joining churches is a crock.

Prophetess said...

As long as you believe in God Jehovah, and believe that His name is holy and righteous and sacred and above all, and believe that Christ Jesus is the Messiah, born of the Holy Spirit of God, then you go ahead and be Christian, because as you know, Baby Brother, it is hard these days to get young people - especially young men - to believe in God. Most of them believe in hip-hopping; they would rather hip-hop than believe in and trust the word of God.

You don't have to go to church and prance around "with the Holy Spirit" like the majority of people do in church - which seems fake in itself, because the Spirit of God is a spirit of Truth and Light. I don't think the Holy Spirit causes people to fall out and roll around on the floor. The moment I saw someone doing that, I stopped going to church. That was a long time ago and I haven't been back since, but the love of God and the word of God are in my heart and that's all I need.

Stay strong, Brother, and have a good holiday season.

Anonymous said...

La - Exactly! Its a production! It feels like a horrible comedy movie!!

Jameil - That search for the right place has been a long an unsatisfactory one

Hoodoo - Thanks!!

kathi said...

Try this for me:
http://www.thepottershouse.org/_partnerportal/portal_menu.php?src=vod&r=/_partnerportal/portal_home.php

It's my home church, you won't find your problems with church there. We all need the word, and God gave us preachers...
I've been to many churches I've not felt at home in, something didn't "sit" right in my spirit. You'll find yours, and get ready babe, when you do. :)

ADD mom, wife, sis said...

I feel you on every point and my husband is a minister (I still cant go)...in additon to the reasons you listed, i have to add that my main reason is laziness...I just want to sleep late and enjoy the last day of the weekend before the madness starts all over again.