Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Compassion

There has been an incident that has moved me. I has left me in deep reflection

A young student athlete was pregnant. She had hid the pregnancy from everyone. The day that I arrived here on campus she gave birth to the child. The child only lived 10 minutes. There is a full investigation. The baby died of asphyxiation and the death was labeled a homicide. The DA has yet to press charges.

When I heard the story all I could do was feel for the young woman. While everyone else was looking at what the girl could have done to prevent this, I felt for her. People condemned while I just empathized.

Now if the girl killed the child. I am not excusing the behavior. That is wrong if that is what happened. But I can see why she killed the child. She had a kid in her apartment by herself. She hid this pregnancy from people and did not want anyone to know. She was probably scared. She felt that she had no one in her corner. Panic probably ensued once the baby dropped.

I just feel for her. Now her life will never be the same. She probably will never return to Mercyhurst. If she did kill the child, it will be on her conscious forever. All I can do is feel compassion. I cannot judge; I refuse to. I would hope that in her position I would do the right thing but I may never know. I may never be in her position. All I do is pray for her. Because she does not need another person to judge her; her fear of that is what created the situation in he first place.

7 comments:

kathi said...

Oh, babe. That last sentence said it all.

La said...

more people should do the work to feel the same way you do

Mo said...

How could you feel any other way? I had the same response upon reading your account of it all. How sad! Guilty or not, she'll have to wrestle with this for the rest of her life.

Still diggin' your blog,
SRae

p_nami said...

It's wonderful that you can separate the action from the person.

I guess it depends on if she is in your original thoughts or that baby. If all you can think about is how that child never had a chance, then empathy for the mother is not the first emotion...at least not for me. Yes, she will have to deal with this for the rest of her life (if she killed the baby)...but she still has a life.

Anonymous said...

Kathi - Its just how I feel

La - It has been a while since you have stopped through here. Everyone just immediately called her a killer. No one really knows the whole story except the girl.

SRae - I am glad you are still digging the blog.

Dollface - I feel for the baby. But I can feel for the girl. Its just sad all around.

Jameil said...

that's so sad. when i heard about it i thought about you and wondered if you knew her. there have been a lot of stories recently about female athletes feeling pressure or being forced to give up their scholarships or abort if they get preggers. that's a really tough sitch.

Organized Noise said...

Sadly, there is a lot of that going on. Student athletes get pregnant and either have abortions or kill their babies so that they can keep their scholarships. It's a sad situation.