Thursday, March 05, 2009

Moving Forward: The Job Search

In late January/ early February, I found out that my contract at the school I am at is not being renewed. Thus, I have been looking for a new job. I am looking in the non-profit and education sector.

Someone recommended me to apply for an Executive Director position for a non-profit organization here in Baltimore. I received an email stating they are interested. It is an organization that I am familiar with. I love the work that they do. I believe in their mission with my whole heart. The pay is nice. It puts in a field that I have always wanted to be in. I love doing non-profit work.

It is with great humility that I am going to decline the offer to apply. I looked at the qualifications and the responsibilities. I have been doing some work for years in the non-profit field. However, I do not have enough professional experience to think that I could be Executive Director.

Now, it is hard to admit that there is something I cannot do. I really truly believe that I can do anything I set my mind to. However, I do not have the experience necessary to be able to do that organization a great service. I would be in way over my head. If I would be an Executive Director, I need to work my way up. I do not want to use the connections I have to get in. I believe I would fail at this position. So I am declining it. I need the job, but I realize that I do not want to ruin a beautiful organization.

4 comments:

Rashan Jamal said...

I understand not wanting a job that you aren't qualified for, but use all the connections that you have, homey!

Jameil said...

very wise not to take a job you're not ready for.

kathi said...

Very unselfish of you, and mature. As always, proud of you.

Hadassah said...

Wow thats good!