Sunday, February 01, 2009

Fighting Fair

"Growing up is not a straight line, but a series of advances and retreats" - Kevin Arnold of The Wonder Years.

The gf and I got into an argument recently. I was upset by something she said and we started arguing. However, the argument went from me being mad to us arguing about how I argue.

My gf stated that I am condescending when we fight. She says that the way I talk to her is as if I talk to her like one of my students. It is as if she cannot possibly understand my point of view. She says it sounds as if it is either my way or no way.

Now, I try not to be that way. I try to stay calm while fighting. I try not to accuse. I try to fight fair. Yet I see I still have to improve. With other relationships, I would openly express how I felt without consideration of my words. I guess in my effort to remain calm, it has turned to sounding condescending.

I do not want her to think I do not value her opinion. I really do. I often ask for her advice (which is something I have always struggled with). Her advice has become precious to me. I love when she expresses her opinion and I value it. I told her that. I now know that I need to work on fighting fair. Making sure that I express my opinion without downgrading hers.

6 comments:

Jameil said...

it's always so nice to be willing to improve. when we forget we're works in progress, that's where we go wrong.

Rashan Jamal said...

Or maybe she's wrong about the arguing?

Ms.Honey said...

Its always nice to listen and take in what someone else says...I think that says alot and I'm sure she can appreciate that

Lyrically speaking said...

Hey Epsi, I've posted your poem on my blog, check it out when you get a chance...

get zapped said...

I think it's awesome you are aware of your behavior, watching it and trying to "improve" it. I hope your gf sees this and opens up to it. If more people did this, the world would be a better place...

Btw, congrats on your poem being selected by Lyrically speaking, I really liked what you had to say about Silence, it's so true.

Peace.

Hadassah said...

We learn something new about ourselves when we are in relationships. It is not bad to be in the wrong sometimes in an arguement. It is for us to take and learn and not to repeat the same mistake