Tuesday, November 04, 2008

What It All Means.....


This man, Barack Obama, has been chosen by the American people to be our president. At this moment, I am still having trouble fathoming what that all means to me. I am still in shock. I still have a high, euphoric feeling. But I took some time today to reflect on what it means.

We have no excuse.

We now have no excuse. We have no excuse for not reaching our potential. Now, Barack Obama's election does not mean that racism and prejudice has ceased to exist. But what it does mean is that DESPITE racism and prejudice we can achieve anything we set our minds to. Black people have demonstrated, through Barack Obama, that there is no power on this planet that can keep us down. Racism and prejudice only has the power to suppress us if we allow it.

We have no excuse

Now it is time for us to step up. We must not only continue to attack and fight injustice. We must look within ourselves and see if we are doing our best everyday. Barack has demonstrated that we have overcame a lot. Just 43 years ago, Blacks could not vote. Blacks had to eat separately from whites. We had to sit in the back. Look at a white person the wrong way, that could be the last look you make. Just 43 years ago.

We have no excuse

Last night we have demonstrated that in 43 years, we can go from having no rights to being the leader of the free world. We are a resilient people. We are strong in heart and spirit. Now, we must fulfill our potential. We must inhabit the greatness that has been demonstrated last night.

We have no excuse

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have no excuse... Yes We Can, Did, and Will Do!!!

Jameil said...

FANTASTIC!!

Eb the Celeb said...

We really dont... overachieving should be in the spirit of ever black person... now we know that we can... and we did... and that nothing can keep us back when we all come together for a cause... we have to keep this energy going

Ms.Honey said...

You damn right we aint got no excuse now....

Just moved cause I needed a chance of scenery :)

kathi said...

That was really well written.

I would like to point out, however, that even though I didn't vote for Obama, he did not get here on the black vote alone. And, having lived through and still remember well, the times of Martin Luther King, that the civil right movement did not get to where it is today (and in my opinion, took way too long to get to where it is today) with not only the possibility but the reality of a black president, with the black population alone.

Just sayin'.

Rashan Jamal said...

I love that picture of them. This post is real talk!!!

Anonymous said...

A.I. - We sure did it!!

Jameil - I loved your post about the night!

Eb - I think this is a turning point. I think seeing this has given people hope to sustain this energy.

Honey - We have none at all. I like the scenery.

Kathi - Good thoughts

Rashan - I wanted a family picture because I know that is how he sees himself. His family comes first and foremost.

kathi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hadassah said...

Wow !!! it was awesome to watch from Canada Congratulations!!

Black is beauty !! said...

yeah I believe that and more than anything we have a chance torise to the top !