Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My Faith

Someone was surprised when they heard that I am a spiritual person. And I am not surprised this person felt this way.

My faith is a very personal experience. It is not something that I express openly. I often do not go to church (I am very disillusioned because of the experiences I have had). However when I do go on the rare occasion, I often spend the service with my head bowed, praying on my own and ignoring the sermon. I do not feel the Holy Spirit in some of the ways that others do. I do not shout or spazz. When I do feel it, it is more of a calm call that God has put in my heart. It is often a call that moves me to improve my relationship with my fellow man. There is a drive or impetus that moves me to do something. The Holy Spirit is a call to action

I also do not talk about what I pray for when I pray. That is a private conversation that I have. Even when I pray it is a private occasion. I do not recite any words. I say whatever I have to say in my heart. It is never something that I write or share.

With others, I talk about faith. However, it is in different terms. It is always related to how I view religion's purpose in modern times. I always discuss how I view the relationship between religion, spirituality, and science. No one asks me the deeper questions about my faith. But I feel I do not need to make a public declaration. I guess because that relationship between God and me is always evolving. So explaining it would be hard.

But surprise surprise, I am a spiritual person.

3 comments:

Jameil said...

I want to know more if you want to tell.

Eb the Celeb said...

I think its a good thing to be spiritual... I have a problem with people who consider themselves religious!

kathi said...

The word 'religious' scares me because it reminds me of the religious zealots in the bible. You know me, I openly talk about my faith in Christ, but so many people want to argue religion and once they find I'm a Christian they want to 'bend' me to their way of thinking. I don't argue, period. Ever. I'm more than happy to discuss, because we learn (and teach) when we discuss, but I won't argue.

There are people who are afraid to ask me to go out with them (men...and women friends) because they've seen me pray over my food and think I'll not be any fun. I dunno, maybe they're right. I like to go out, I have the occasional drink and I like to laugh, but I get termed 'religiou' because I am a person of faith, because I am spiritual.

Every relationship with God is personal, like your relationship with your girlfriend, it's between you and her, it's personal. I do believe that it's also like that relationship with your girlfriend in as when it makes you so happy and full, that you can't help but want to share it with others...but that's just me.

Great post hon.