Monday, March 08, 2010

Life's Perspective

I got into an argument on last Wednesday with a program manager from my AmeriCorps/Public Allies program.

She told me that she felt as if I did not care about the program or the people in it. This statement came from the fact on my recent evaluation, my AmeriCorps group mates did not evaluate me as high as my actual job supervisor.So went into this thing with she said I am dismissive, etc etc. Supposedly, my attitude stinks, I am rude and off-putting, I do not do work.

So I summoned my inner asshole and told her how I truly feel. I am not emotionally attached to my career. My self-worth is not tied to my career. Whether or not I am a good person is not dictated by how well I do my job. Thus, when my fellow AmeriCorps people worry about whether people's opinion of them change due to the success of the project, I do not panic. I do not worry.

That may seem transcendent for people. It may sound like I do not care. But I know when I meet my Maker, if there is a Maker, they will not judge me by how well I do not my job. There are other criteria that will
determine. Does this mean I do not want a great career? No. But what it means is that I will never put my career over how I treat and love my friends, family, and other people. I will never let career moves dictate whether I should be kind or courteous. I will never let career aspirations get in the way of spending time with the people I love the most. Thats all.

Perspective is what it is all about.

2 comments:

Jameil said...

And what was her response?

Anonymous said...

Jameil - Her response was that I was crazy, stubborn, and unreasonable.