Monday, June 04, 2007

Our First Date

So yesterday evening, I had a date with a young lady. Here is how I met her.

Her name is "Grown". She is 22 and she has a job and her own place. She also has a daughter who is 4 I believe. I have known her for years. We used to be a part of a grantmaking organization here in Baltimore. I met her my freshman year of high scholl and I instantly had a crush. I really did. But I never really approached her. We were cool. Like we spoke and would talk before, during, and after meetings. We knew each other but we never became very close. We were cordial, friendly.

Fast forward.

She gave me her number I believe when I came home Spring Break. So even when I returned to school, she would text me every now and then. I basically heard from her more than I heard from K.

Fast forward

This is going to sound very retarded and childish. She posted some goofy MySpace bulletin and I filled it out and sent it to her. One of the questions asked "Have you ever had a crush on me?". I figured I might as well try to milk it for what it was worth. I said yeah and she messaged me back. So I called her and we talked about it. She said she was curious about me but she did not want to step to me. Why? Because of K.

But I still stepped up to her. We had been talking on the phone all week every night. I then suggested that we go out to dinner. I took her out to a place called Burke's. It is a small restaurant downtown. The food was great. Our convo was incredible. I was very nervous though. I went from dreaming of going out on a date with this girl to actually doing it. So I got all shy and everything. But we actually enjoyed ourselves.

Again our only problem is our friends. I have a friend who used to kind of see her. But he never took her out or anything. I know he had some feelings but basically bounced between Grown and some other women.

And Grown knows K. They are not friends but they know each other. And K has supposedly expressed some feelings. But she wont express them to me. K rarely calls me at school. She makes no effort to see me at home. I will hear from her the night before I leave for school saying she wish we could have hung out. She did not call me on mybirthday. K is not my girlfriend and she is not obligated or anything. But if you have feelings for people you do certain things. Those include calling at least more than once every 2 months, calling on holidays, spending time with the said person. I also do not know much about K. She is very secretive and closed off. So I find it hard to really trust her. Also, I dont want things to go further wit K. And when I am happy with the status quo, I dont move. So K is about to be replaced.

Grown is like the first established woman I have dated. I mean she has a child. She has her own place. She works a decent job. It is weird. Sometimes I worry about that. Like I am no way near as established as she is. I am still in college and everything. Everyone has their own path to follow.

Finally hitting it off with Grown has a down side. I am leaving for Florence Texas on Thursday. I should have done this earlier. Oh well. Sometimes it works like that

17 comments:

Ms.Honey said...

What are you going to TX for or did I miss that part LOL...glad you had fun and if you must talk to your friend not K about how he feels about you dating oh girl...I mean you dont have to since it seemed that they weren't serious..but hey you never know....

Jameil said...

yes honey you missed that part. he's doing his on site dig for school! :) see? i pay attention epsi! hurray for grown and gettin those crushes. that is an ego boost for days.

Anonymous said...

We've talked about this. I'm happy for you. Grown may be a keeper. Yeah you already know I said discuss it with the "friend" as soon as you feel the need. Maybe it involves waiting a few weeks to see if you all stay connected. This is about to be a test for ya'll pretty early. It's important to make sure the interest and intrigue don't waiver, so you all don't falter. If ya'll stay on after two weeks it might be more than a summertime thing.

`NEFTY said...

Aw, that's good. Btw, don't worry about she's more "settled" because she knows that you will be too. Best of luck to you both.

The Brown Blogger said...

It seems that you are performing the actions of a 'settled' cat. Keep doing that and you shall proceed and continue to rock the mic.

Anonymous said...

Honey Libra - I am going to Texas for a dig. It is a part of my field school. I am still deciding whether I should talk to him.

Jameil - I got my swagger back now!!!

Cnel - I hope we talk for longer than two weeks. But remember. She is not obligated at all.

Nefty - Thanks!!

Brown Blogger - Ima make it happen. Or at least try. With her being older and established I definitely had to step my game up.

kathi said...

You like her, she likes you and you enjoy each other. Don't make it any more complicated than it has to be. It's between the two of you and everyone else should have enough in their lives to keep them busy to where you needn't worry about it. Life is good, enjoy it.
I like her.

Anonymous said...

WOW I have sure misseed alot!!!!
Yaaaaaaaaaay!!! @ K being replaced and Yaaaaaaay u got "Grown"

Ron Bramlett said...

Good for you young man!

So...Wise...Sista said...

Look at you!

So how do you feel about her having a kid?

Anonymous said...

Kathi - I think Ima take your advice.

dstcretion - you have missed a whole lot!!! You need to get on it!!

ron - thanks!

Wise - I used to not like that. But I have known her and her kid for years so it is not a problem. Also, her situation with the child's father is straight so there is no drama. I still feel awkward though. I have never dated a woman with kids before. I dont know how to handle it. How do I handle it??

Anonymous said...

I meant two more weeks before you might want to talk to her former mail friend there buddy.

Definitely think ya'll going be talking for a minute. Both of ya'll are ummm interesting personalities.

The kid is cute, you'd make a great step daddy, lmao.

BK said...

do you thing lil bruh!!

LOL @ the 6 degrees of separation there..

tell your friend.. bruh you snooze you loose.. and just ignore K.. hell if she dont call ufor 2 months.. just say I ain't recognize the # LOL

p_nami said...

Damn...you've been living the life while I've been gone!! Don't be intimidated by her situation. If it doesn't matter to her then be confident. I'm sure you can hold your own!!

La said...

chemistry doesn't die just because you have to leave temporarily.


And as much as I hate to be harsh about it, all that is high school shit. If it wasn't serious, they need to let it go. We're on our grown folks shit now.

Ray said...

Hey cuz,

Look at that I am not mad at you. Hell you and me need to kick it soon, I hope to be relocating very soon. You just like me, I like older women......

Lyrically speaking said...

Grown sounds very grown, but as long as she makes you smile in the morning and before sunrise that's what matters...don't let insecurity get in the way of something wonderful :)