Friday, January 22, 2010

Learning and Living

Here is something I read from secretregrets.com:

I regret that in order to help the homeless, I have to listen to the paranoid shit that those rich church-goers throw at me.

I regret that I don't have the confidence to speak up and tell them that the homeless and the needy are not all alcoholic drug addicts bent on hurting children. The homeless and the needy saved my life. They conversed with me and made me feel needed. I hung on because of them. I regret that no one seems to see that the homeless and the needy are real people.

Well, you know what? I'm passionate about this, and I'm going to go against everyone's paranoid wishes. I'm going to converse, I'm going to get close. I'm going to do a photography series focusing on homelessness and poverty. I'm going to make those paranoid, dead-fish-handshake giving, stay-at-home mothers, rich church-goers realize that maybe, just maybe, the needy are people, too, and that they're nothing to be afraid of. I'm going to get my series into the community, and people will start to understand.

I know I've put a lot of hope into this. I'm only seventeen; a stupid teenager. What do I know about the way life works, right?

Bear with me. I will make a point, and it will be beautiful.

Female, 17 

I read this and felt moved beyond belief. It made me reassess a comment I made earlier on Facebook. Maybe there is hope for the future.

3 comments:

The Brown Blogger said...

Yes Brother, there is.

That moved me too. And gave me hope.

kathi said...

BABE, you have no idea what this meant to me. Seriously, this was meant for me. I'll email you later.

Hadassah said...

Wow, I am inspired!